Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Favorite Smoothie

I've long been a smoothie fan, but until recently I have considered a smoothie only to be ice, milk, yogurt and fruit.

Lately I've started to give in to the peer pressure of adding veggies to my smoothies. I know- STOP THE MADNESS.

This is even too radical for Jon, who is typically up for whatever new zen phase is out there. Chia seeds? He's interested. Ear candling? Sign him up. Random vitamin supplements to cure what ails him? Yes, indeed.

Spinach in his smoothie?
NO WAY.

But I've been reading about this craziness and everyone says that you can't taste a thing. I've got one friend who has been filling her kids with so many veggies in smoothies that they ask for "green smoothies" now by choice.

So, I tried it.

DSC_0024

And I loved it!!!
I've started my day with one for the past few weeks and I do think it makes a difference in my energy levels in the morning.

Try it and see what you think-

"Green" Strawberry Smoothie

1 individual container Activia Vanilla Yogurt
1/4 C Milk
Big handful of fresh spinach
1/2 avocado (because this makes them SO SMOOTH and RICH!)
6-8 strawberries (I was slicing...I've since started throwing them in whole with the stems on)
3 ice cubes

You can add sugar if you want...sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
Blend until smooth.


Enjoy!
I think the best part is knowing that I've eaten at least 1 serving of leafy green veggies before 9am. Impressive.

4 comments:

Lora said...

so good, right? I love spinach, blueberries, banana, and apple

The Browns said...

I have to admit I'm scared of the avocado, but I feel like it's time I gave into some of your peer pressure. I'll give it a try soon and let you know what I think. I LOVE some good peer pressure!

Christa said...

Oh, yes. Love smoothies too. I have to laugh about your comment though "can't taste the spinach". My family loves the taste of spinach. Favorite quick lunch: sauteed spinach (in a little bullion), drained well, on toasted thin sandwich rounds with sunny side up egg on top. And the best about it: my husband fixes it.

Jennifer Barnum said...

I knew Diana would break you down. Does Cooper drink them?