Sunday, October 4, 2009

A difference...

It's been a week since the boys found the whale- and it's been a week that we'll always remember. The whole thing was so surreal and then it got so much press and it was all we could talk about. It was exciting and it built so much confidence for Cooper- he took pictures to school, he had conversations with countless grown ups (and kids), he read articles in newspapers and on line, he was even asked for his autograph!
DSC_0457
He signed the paper with so much care and took it so seriously- as if it were the most important thing that he'd ever done. And really, it just may be. At least for now.

And there is a reason that it happened.....I'm not sure exactly whether it was meant just for us or if there was some other greater good, but it will become a part of our history and it was so good for us. That whale made a difference.

It wasn't so good for the whale, and that part does make me sad. She's in her final resting place now- we went this weekend to see her. She's anchored to a deserted island that's used as a wildlife refuge. Lots has happened in a weeks time.
DSC_0501

I didn't do a Thankful Thursday post- but I have a list a mile long. Topping the list is that I have hope. I am hopeful. Some people aren't, and the result of that is devastating.

I got a call this week about a man at work who took his own life. My team manages the process when someone who works for the company passes away. We've had some sad cases, of course- but this one has stayed with me. I didn't know him at all. I do know that he was single and had a dog. And his dog was with him. I can't get that dog out of my head. It made me realize that there are people who don't have hope. People who are so full of despair that they can't focus on the one thing that might happen tomorrow that would make it all better, or even just a little more bearable. That he was so sad and hopeless that he wasn't even able to think about his pet. The pet that needed him and depended on him and loved him.

The next day as I was driving home from an appointment I thought, "Wow, this is such a beautiful day". And then I remembered- there was someone who couldn't wait to see tomorrow. And I cried. For someone that I didn't know- but who made a difference in my life. And I am hopeful- because I always want to see tomorrow.

Yikes. That's heavy. But good and cathartic- and who doesn't need a good cry everyone once and a while.

Back to being thankful....

I'm learning. I'm thankful to a great group of picture taking girls who don't know a thing about what they're doing. And to a fabulous photographer who took us under her wing to teach us a few tricks (err, basics!!!)!

I'm figuring things out. Jon and I are taking stock of our lives, of our future and of what makes us tick. And it's exciting and scary and wonderful to dream about what could be. I love that he has crazy dreams and I love even more that they're the same as mine!!

I'm practical. I'm trying my hardest to create a routine that I can live by that will allow me some sanity. Somehow when little things are in order it makes the big things easier. Give me a white board and a marker and I can make things happen.

I'm loving my boys. We spent the weekend doing fun, wholesome family "stuff". The weather was awesome, the stress was non-existent and the result was bliss. I do love them so.

I'm trying. I'm trying to make a difference.
I hope it's working.

No comments: